As you guys know I'm trying to be healthier again, so let me share this amazing recipe with you!
I present cauliflower chowder! Healthy, easy to make, and SO delicious! I originally got the recipe from here, but I made a few modifications :)
- 4 slices bacon, diced (I love turkey bacon, and it's way healthier so I actually used ten slices of turkey bacon instead)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I'm lazy so I just used some garlic salt)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk (I used skim milk to cut on the calories a bit)
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Melt butter in the stockpot. Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in cauliflower and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally, until barely crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower are tender, about 12-15 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. If the chowder is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with bacon and parsley, if desired. (Personally, I like to just add the bacon in about 5 minutes before it's done)
That's it! Super easy, and when I counted up the calories with my modifications, the WHOLE POT was only 800 calories!