Some people break up with carbs when they’re trying to eat healthier, but ditching them from your diet altogether isn’t the healthiest move. Complex carbs, like the fiber-rich ones found in veggies and whole grains, are an important part of a balanced diet and one of the body’s main sources of energy. And not getting enough of them can lead to some uncomfortable side effects.Here are some signs your body is begging you to add some carbs back into your diet:
- Junk food cravings- When the body realizes it’s not getting the fuel it needs to run properly, that’s when the hunger pangs and cravings take over and the hunt for energy from carbs begins.
- Fatigue and brain fog- Carbs give the body the glucose it needs to function, so without them you may feel wiped out both physically and mentally.
- Bad breath- When your body reaches a state of ketosis, it’s breaking down ketones for energy and that can lead to halitosis, or bad breath.
- Headaches- A lack of carbs can also trigger low blood sugar and headaches may follow.
- Bloating and constipation- Not eating carbs means your body may not be getting the fiber it needs from those fruits, veggies, and whole grains you’re skipping, which can leave your GI tract backed up and bloated.
- Feeling cold- The same spot in the brain that controls hunger and satiety also regulates temperature through hormones. If the body’s low on carbs, it can mess with those hormones and you may feel like you can’t get warm.