So fun story: My brother went to my Grandmother's house, put on a pot of water to hard boil eggs, and then fell asleep on accident. He was woken up by the fire alarm going off, and when he moved the pot off the stove he decided to sit it on the counter where it burned a hole into the countertop. Needless to say, he is not allowed to touch the stove at Granny's anymore!
I found this compilation of things you can do with your countertops on a budget and by yourself! Maybe I'll suggest one of these to my grandmother. CHECK IT OUT!