It’s the most wonderful time of the year - the season of Christmas cookies and wine. When you’re enjoying them together, you’ll want to have the right wine for each cookie to bring out the flavors of both.Alex Bruno, certified sommelier with Tri-Vin Imports in New York says for a simple cookie, you’ll want an uncomplicated wine to go with it. He also suggests pairing sweeter wines with sweeter cookies.
These are Bruno’s top recommendations for wines to go with some of your favorite Christmas cookies:
- Almond Crescent Cookies- Something “soft and fruit forward,” like an Italian pinot grigio helps to balance the flavors.
- Butter Cookies- These rich cookies pair perfectly with a crisp, bubbly Prosecco.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies- Keep it simple with a less intense red, like a pinot noir, which has flavors of dark berries and spice that work well with semi-sweet chocolate.
- Gingerbread Cookies- This classic holiday treat goes nicely with a semi-dry Riesling or a seasonal red like Beaujolais Nouveau, which balances the ginger and molasses flavors of the cookie.
- Chocolate Crinkles- A cabernet sauvignon is an “excellent choice” for pairing with the sweet, rich chocolate.
- Snickerdoodles- Enjoy these tasty cinnamon spiced cookies with a bubbly Spanish Moscato that will make the cookie seem less sweet.