No matter who’s playing in the Super Bowl, the food is a huge part of the celebration. And so is having an adult beverage to go with it. While you’re cheering your team on and enjoying some of your favorite game day eats, you’ll want to find the ideal wine to go with them. Sommelier LauraBurgess suggests these wines to accompany some of the most popular Super Bowl snacks.
- Buffalo Chicken Wings: Albariño -This white wine from Spain “tames the flames” of spicy buffalo sauce and its high acidity helps cut through the greasiness of fried wings.
- Barbecue Chicken Wings: Grenache -If you prefer your wings drenched in sweet, smoky barbecue sauce, this red wine with hints of berries is equally flavorful.
- Pulled Pork: Zinfandel -This red wine is low in tannins, so it won’t overpower the complex flavors of slow-roasted pork.
- Mac and Cheese: Chardonnay -Rich and cheesy mac pairs perfectly with Chardonnay.
- Potato Skins: Sparkling Wine -Try a bubbly to balance all the flavors of this classic appetizer.
- Pizza: Barbera -This red is considered an “everyday” wine in Northern Italy and it makes a great go-to pizza wine.
- Beef Sliders: Syrah -The smoky tones in this rich, full-bodied red complement char-grilled beef nicely.
- Hummus and Veggies: Pinot Grigio -A light and bright white like this highlights the citrus and sesame flavors of the dip.
- Guacamole: Sauvignon Blanc -This white helps make the flavors of the dip pop and can cut through the oils of the avocado.
- Chili: Lambrusco -The subtle sweetness of this semi-sparkling red balances out even the spiciest chili.