More of us are cooking at home these days and one thing everyone from beginners to seasoned cooks has in common is that we can’t find some ingredients on store shelves right now. Even Chrissy Teigen has experienced this recently and she’s here to help us all by sharing a guide to ingredient substitutions.
She’s posted a list of ingredient swaps on her website Cravings by Chrissy Teigen that includes dozens of substitutions for things we may need to sub out. “If I have learned anything from these past few weeks,” she writes in the post, “it’s that being creative in the kitchen isn’t just fun, it’s necessary.” She says there have been many times she’s craved something, but didn’t have the ingredients, so she’s been using these hacks to make recipes work.
Some of the ingredient substitutions she shares include:
- 1 cup of whole milk = 1 cup skim or low-fat milk + 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract = 1 teaspoon bourbon or rum, OR 1 teaspoon maple syrup, OR 1 teaspoon almond extract
- No olive oil? Use avocado or grapeseed oil
- No canola oil? Use Sunflower oil, safflower vegetable oil, or corn oil
- Run out of butter? Try coconut oil
- No mayo? Use Greek yogurt or mashed avocado instead