If snacking has become your favorite new pastime during lockdown, you’re definitely not alone. Lots of us have been baking, cooking more, and turning to comfort foods in the last few months and it’s starting to catch up with us. We might not notice it at first since we’re wearing leggings all the time at home, but when we go to get dressed and try to put on actual jeans again, we realize we may have gained that quarantine 15 after all.
But Dr. Taz Bhatia, an immune support and wellness physician, says this weight gain is okay and expected. We’ve all been dealing with a lot during the pandemic and the anxiety and stress can be a lot to deal with. But if you’re ready to lose those lockdown pounds, she says these five things can help make it happen.
- Ditch the comfort foods- When we’re stressed and upset, we crave foods high in salt and sugar, but if we don’t buy the cookies and potato chips, we won’t have them to eat when that craving hits.
- Reorganize your fridge- After you get rid of the comfort foods, it’s time to bring healthy back to your refrigerator. Dr. Bhatia says the easiest way to think about food is to organize it by category and she suggests a shelf dedicated to lean proteins, one for high-fiber veggies, and another for healthy fats.
- Get moving- You’ll need some exercise to go with that healthy eating if you’re going to shed those extra pounds. “The real secret to weight loss is that we need to move throughout the day,” the doc explains. She suggests working out three times a day for 30 minutes instead of a full hour of a hardcore workout.
- Fasting- The reason intermittent fasting has become so popular is that it brings results. Dr. Bhatia says that fasting creates clear boundaries since it structures your schedule by telling you when you can and can’t eat.
- Add gut-friendly foods- You can balance your digestion and then lose weight by adding in foods including bone broth, yogurt, and fermented vegetables like sauerkraut. These offer good bacteria, which helps balance the gut and improve metabolic rate, which helps with shedding those pounds.