It’s still technically summer, but we’re here to talk about the holiday season. Too soon? Not according to research from RetailMeNot, which finds 31% of consumers plan to shop early this year to avoid inventory issues and shipping delays since more people will be buying online. And since we’re all spending more time at home this year, it’s expected that decorating for the holidays will be happening earlier than ever before.
So what will we be decking the halls with? Trend experts at Etsy, Pinterest, Home Depot and Bloomingdale’s predict these are the trends that’ll be huge for 2020.
- Rainbow brights- This holiday season it’s all about embracing vivid colors to brighten things up, according to Kelley Carter, the home fashion director at Bloomingdale's. Get the look by adding multi-color retro string lights and colorful barware .
- Decked-out front doors- Decorating your front door to express holiday cheer will be more popular this year, explains Swasti Sarna, the insights manager at Pinterest. She says searches for “Christmas door decorations” are up 125%.
- Blue Christmas- It might not be a traditional shade for the holidays, but this year, expect to see more blue holiday decor. Dayna Isom Johnson, Etsy's trend expert, recommends bringing in indigo-dyed accents like a festive tablecloth or Christmas tree skirt.
- Natural elements- Decorations using fresh greenery, dried foliage and raw wood will be big this year. Johnson suggests getting in on the trend by hanging a front door wreath made with these natural touches or adding textured placemats to your table.
- Let it snow- Sarah Fishburne, director of trend and design at Home Depot, predicts flocking will be popular this holiday season. Look for the powdery fake snow on everything from artificial Christmas trees to wreaths to tree skirts.
- Farmhouse holiday- Modern farmhouse style isn’t going away anytime soon and Fishburne thinks the trend will be big for holiday decor, too.