When we think of cutting calories, we associate it with being hungry, but holistic health coach and nurse Debbie DeAngelo says it doesn’t have to be that way. She explains that small changes can make a big impact on your waistline over time. These are her tips for slashing at least 100 calories a day and the best part? She says you won’t even notice until the end of the year when you’ve lost 10 pounds.
- Blot pizza- Use a napkin to dab that extra grease on top of your pizza to reduce the fat and 50 calories per slice.
- Bring on the berries- Swap jelly and syrup for mashed berries on your toast, pancakes and waffles. You’ll not only cut calories, but you’ll get a lot less sugar, too.
- Spice up your eggs- If you usually add cheese to your eggs, try perking them up with hot sauce or spices instead.
- Spritz oil- Extra virgin olive oil is beloved for its healthy fats and nutrients, but it still clocks in at around 120 calories per tablespoon. DeAngelo advises putting it into a spray bottle so you can mist it instead of pouring it from the bottle.
- Dress up dip- Salad dressing is a calorie bomb, so lighten up your homemade dips and dressings by making them with plain Greek yogurt as a base. You can add ranch or Italian seasonings to it for a creamy consistency, plus some extra protein, with fewer calories.
- Wrap a burger- Ditching the bun will save calories, but if you’re not into using a tortilla or lettuce leaves to wrap around a burger, try it open-faced.
- Bump bagels- Trade your bagel for an English muffin for your usual breakfast sandwich and DeAngelo says you’ll cut at least 200 calories!
Source: USA Today