Terry Pareja was visiting visiting family in Birchip, Australia when he was bit on the leg by a white-tailed spider. He didn't realize anything was wrong until the next day when his leg began to swell. There weren't any doctors in the tiny town of 662 people and by the time he sought medical help, flesh-eating bacteria had taken hold.
Pareja has had both of his legs amputated and according to his family, he may need to get both his arms amputated too because the bacteria is still in his body. Pareja's family has started a GoFundMe page to help cover the mounting medical costs.
Perhaps the only silver lining of the entire situation? Plenty of people are chipping in to help. So far, the Parejas have raised over $23-thousand.