In honor of Easter being this Sunday, we've scoured the internet for some fun and fast facts about the holiday. Here are 10:
- During the holiday, more than 90 million chocolate bunnies, 91.4 billion eggs and 700 million Peeps are produced each year in the United States alone.
- Are you an ears, arms or tail person? Seventy-six percent of people eat the ears on the chocolate bunny first, five percent go for the feet and four percent for the tail.
- Americans consume more than 16 million jelly beans during this holiday. That is enough jelly beans to circle the globe not once, not twice, but three times.
- Children are most likely to name red jelly beans as their favorite Easter candy.
- After Halloween, Easter is the biggest candy-consuming holiday of the year.
- The exchange or giving of Easter eggs actually dates back to before Easter and the giving of eggs is actually considered a symbol of rebirth in many cultures.
- Easter is the celebration of the resurrection of Christ; it is the oldest Christian holiday and one of the most important days of the year.
- The term Easter gets its name from Eastre, the Anglo-Saxon goddess who symbolizes the hare and the egg.
- The idea of the Easter bunny giving candies and eggs is said to have originated in Germany during the middle ages.
- The art of painting eggs is called pysanka, which originated in Ukraine. It involves using wax and dyes to color the egg.
Source: The Holiday Spot