Firefighters Warn Don't Leave Bottled Water in Car

While enjoying his lunch break, a battery technician with the Idaho  Power Company noticed smoke coming from under the center console of his  truck. Dioni Amuchastegui was surprised to learn that a bottle of water was to blame.

“I looked over and noticed light was being refracted through a water  bottle and starting to catch the seat on fire,” he explains in a video  shared on Facebook. You can see just how dangerous it is from the two burn marks left on the seat of Dioni’s truck.

Firefighters are also warning drivers about the hazard.  When Oklahoma’s Midwest City Fire Department ran tests, they found  sunlight magnified by a water bottle got to be 250-degrees. “The  sunlight will come through, when it’s filled with liquid, and act as a  magnifying glass,” MCFD’s David Richardson explains."It  uses the liquid and the clear material to develop a focused beam and  sure enough, it can actually cause a fire, a combustion.”

While the risk of starting a fire this way is low, officials warn  that we should all be bringing our water bottles with us when we leave  the car. You can never be too safe!

Source: Country Living

Kat

Kat

Want to know more about Kat? Get their official bio, social pages & articles on 92.9 TomFM! Read more

title

Content Goes Here