Lots of us are starting 2018 with high hopes for living healthier and if you’re one of us and you’re still drinking diet soda, it’s time to put it down. No one’s saying it’s going to be easy, but you’ll be better off without it and this is why.
- It causes bloating - Those bubbles might taste refreshing, but they’re not helping your belly. Turns out, drinking carbonated beverages regularly can cause bloating and discomfort. So skip the fizz and sip something like iced tea instead.
- It can cause weight gain - A study from the University of Texas Health Science Center found that folks who drink diet soda have a higher risk of becoming overweight. Even just a can or two a day can cause your waistline to get bigger!
- It alters your body's natural hunger hormones - Researchers from Palestine found that drinking diet soda increases the production of the hormone ghrelin, which regulates hunger cues. When ghrelin is higher, you feel hungrier, even if you don’t need to eat yet, and that can lead to overeating and weight gain.
- It can mess with your mood - Aspartame, a common ingredient in diet soda, can alter your mood. So if you’re a Diet Coke junkie and you feel cranky, upset, or angry for no reason at all, this could be why.
- It has serious effects on your health - Here’s a scary stat: research from the University of Miami shows drinking diet soda every day can make you 44% more likely to suffer a heart attack than those who never drink it. And a daily diet soda habit can make you much more susceptible to developing type 2 diabetes. So quit diet soda now and you’ll be healthier down the road.