You can read all the parenting books out there, but nothing really prepares you for being a mom or dad until you have a child of your own. Well, now some parents are here to help, and are sharing with Buzzfeed the unwritten rules of parenting that are lessons parents will likely eventually learn on their own.
Unwritten rules of parenting include:
- "If you drink the night before, your baby will wake up 2-3 hours early.
- "Your kid will have to go to the bathroom the minute the food reaches your table at a restaurant."
- "You will watch the same TV show or movie over and over and over and over again, until you feel like you’re losing your mind. Then you’ll watch it more."
- "Kids should ALWAYS use the toilet before leaving somewhere. Even if it causes a war, put them on the toilet. Otherwise the second you get on the road, they'll insist they cannot wait another minute to go."
- "If you think it's a toddler trigger word, you damn well better spell it out."
- "When your kid falls or gets minimally injured, pretend you didn't see it. Most of the time they'll shake it off if there's not an audience."
- "A baby will sleep quietly while you prepare your meal and start crying the moment you sit down to eat it."
- "Do not tell your kids about the really fun thing you plan to do in a few days. Tell them the day of or they will ask, 'Is it time yet?' a thousand times until it happens."
- "You're not REALLY a parent if you haven't made up new, often inappropriate lyrics to the theme songs of your kids' favorite TV shows."
- "Cheerios will be everywhere. Always."